Bilateral (both ears) Cochlear Implantation or Bionic Ear Surgery12 Jun 2023
Bilateral (both ears) cochlear implantation or bionic ear surgery should be offered to children with profound deafness whenever possible.
Cochlear implants are electronic devices that receive sound from the outside environment, process it, and send small electric currents near the auditory nerve. These electric currents activate the nerve, which then sends a signal to the brain. The brain learns to recognize this signal and the person.
These are used when high-gain hearing aids do provide useful sound sensations to the profoundly deaf.
Studies have shown that bilateral Cochlear implantation can provide the following benefits :
1. Improved speech recognition in quiet and background noise
2. Enhanced sound localization
3. Reduced listening effort and related fatigue
4. Enriched quality of life
5. Reduced head shadow effect for improved signal-to-noise ratio
6. Binaural summation benefit
7. Health-related quality of life
Improved language development for children and positive impact on phonological processing skills
A 2yr old profoundly deaf child underwent simultaneous bilateral cochlear implant surgery with us and got introduced to the magical world of hearing!